  This is what we have done on our Red Hat Linux 7.3 with P4 2.4GHZ and 1GB
ram....

  What I would like to do is get the server up to 32 players and we did last
night but my ping was 150 that's about 80 over the best I can get because
of the distance from the host to me. Before all the steps below I was
getting 200 pings at 24 players but their has to be more I can do?

1) We re-compiled the kernel with the 1000MZ Option and removed un-need
items from kernel with is now only 818kb in size.

2) We did Tweaks from Brad @ www.gammagaming.com below.

Under Redhat you can use the redhat-config-proc. If you did not install X
then you can just edit the /etc/sysctl.conf and add the following:

kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
net.core.rmem_default = 65535
net.core.rmem_max = 131071
net.core.wmem_default = 65535
net.core.wmem_max = 131071
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 60
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 7200
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 9
net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries = 5
net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 1024
net.ipv4.tcp_retries1 = 3
net.ipv4.tcp_retries2 = 15
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_retrans_collapse = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses = 0
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all = 0
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 0
net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl = 64
net.ipv4.ipfrag_time = 30
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 0
net.unix.max_dgram_qlen = 10
net.token-ring.rif_timeout = 307200
fs.file-max = 209664
vm.bdflush = 30 500 0 0 2560 15360 60
vm.overcommit_memory = 0
vm.kswapd = 512 32 8
vm.page-cluster = 3
vm.pagetable_cache = 25 50
kernel.ctrl-alt-del = 0
kernel.panic = 1
kernel.acct = 4 2 30
kernel.printk = 6
kernel.rtsig-max = 1024
kernel.shmall = 2097152
kernel.shmmax = 33554432

Then run /sbin/sysctl -p

Now a lot of the settings above are just defaults and some are modified like
the fs.file-max and a few others. These settings are what is wrote when you
use the redhat-config-proc. Might want to use it if you can since it has
help on each item.

3) The Start-up command line but the "nice" does not work for some reasion?
nice -n -5 su hlds -c "./hlds_run -game dod -noipx &">/home/hlds/server1/hlstart.log
2>&1

4) I removed pingboost because of the 1000MHZ kernel my understanding is
that pingboost will do no good now?

Thanks,
Jeff Dupler -AKA-DeathMaster

Office Number: 916-456-1799