According to the great words of agenthh:
> The question still remains: will we be able to play any Steam games
> on LANs? At all of my LAN parties, we don't have any internet
> connections available.
> A direct answer, please?

The answer is no. If you followed the links Alfred posted, the answer
is in there, and it's very clear. This is a quote steampowered.com:

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915726,98098300

"Any Steam game, when played on a LAN or otherwise, requires that each
individual client be able to authenticate via the Internet.

At a LAN party, this means that Internet access must be available to
every machine on which Steam games are being played."

If everybody read the information provided before asking questions,
well, there's probably be nobody left using this list...

-Mad

--
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a
proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

                – Prime Minister Jean Chrétien