Jeremy,

I assure you, it is not incorrect.  Its very correct.  Kernel timings in
kernel-2.4.21 which I have also tested against, use identical kernel
sleeping habbits:

LINUX 2.4.21 :

[EMAIL PROTECTED] asm-i386 # cat /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/include/asm-i386/param.h
#ifndef _ASMi386_PARAM_H
#define _ASMi386_PARAM_H

#ifndef HZ
#define HZ 100
#endif

#define EXEC_PAGESIZE   4096

#ifndef NGROUPS
#define NGROUPS         32
#endif

#ifndef NOGROUP
#define NOGROUP         (-1)
#endif

#define MAXHOSTNAMELEN  64      /* max length of hostname */

#ifdef __KERNEL__
# define CLOCKS_PER_SEC 100     /* frequency at which times() counts */
#endif

#endif

LINUX 2.4.9:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] asm-i386 # cat /usr/src/linux-2.4.9/include/asm-i386/param.h
#ifndef _ASMi386_PARAM_H
#define _ASMi386_PARAM_H

#ifndef HZ
#define HZ 100
#ifdef __KERNEL__
#if HZ == 100
/* X86 is defined to provide userspace with a world where HZ=100
   We have to do this, (x*const)/const2 isnt optimised out because its not
   a null operation as it might overflow.. */
#define hz_to_std(a) (a)
#else
#define hz_to_std(a) (((a)*HZ)/100)
#endif
#endif
#endif

#define EXEC_PAGESIZE   4096

#ifndef NGROUPS
#define NGROUPS         32
#endif

#ifndef NOGROUP
#define NOGROUP         (-1)
#endif

#define MAXHOSTNAMELEN  64      /* max length of hostname */

#ifdef __KERNEL__
# define CLOCKS_PER_SEC 100     /* frequency at which times() counts */
#endif

#endif

As you can clearly see, HZ is still 100.

So, please explain to me how I am being lied to?  I use 2.4.21 I see obscene
usage breaking to almost full capacity of my chip.  In addition to not only
SAYING its using that many cycles, it TRULY is, FPS drops, working on the
machine becomes sluggish etc...  Yet when I use a 2.4.9 kernel, I see a
remarkable difference, in addition to INCREDIBLY low cpu use, its accurate,
since the FPS is high, and the server is extremely responsive.

I am not using top to discover cpu use either, and thats even a moot point
since top agrees fully with the cpu use I arrive at, which I manually
calculate by using the proc filesystem.

Please explain to me the logic you are using to deduce that my results are
incorrect?  FPS does not lie.  If the server can do 50 FPS, which is its
MAX, then I think i'm on the right track here.

I am telling you, and PROVING to you, that using this kernel, with DEFAULT
kernel timings results in performance vastly superior to any kernel released
after.

James