From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 12:01 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [OT] [hlds_linux] Valve's Response to CPU Usage

> PS - one last thing all you small time server admins (like myself) out
there
> making all your money off cs servers. 3 words. Class Action Lawsuit.
If my
> business fails because of this and I cant find customers quick enough
> make money still then i will look into this. My wife works at a
lawfirm.

Ok, I was going to stay out of all this, but this statement's just plain
ridiculous. Look, you're running a FREE PIECE OF SOFTWARE. FREE. You've
paid no money to VALVe to run the *server* (if you wanna grip about the
client, that's another story). They are not obliged to provide services
to you, just as you're not obliged to stick to a platform with which
you're obviously unsatisfied.

HLDS is one of the few multiplayer games available where the server is
not required to be commercially licensed (i.e., no CD key, no purchases
necessary). That VALVe have supported your industry (your industry being
server rental, I'll assume) for years now, for ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY, is
pretty friggin spectacular. I don't know of another commercial entity
out there that has chosen to devote as many resources to a free product.
I know they're not doing it out of some sacrificial altruistic motives
here, but to claim injury from a free piece of software, and to further
suggest litigation over it, is just ludicrous.

If you want a leg to stand on, go shell out the $40-50 to run a server
instance for Battlefield 1942.

--
Tim

---