: So the question is, Valve, do YOU have a problem with this? Did you
: really give every major website that is mirroring your patch express
: permission to redistribute it?
:
: And to everyone else... WTF?

I don't have the files you mention with me, but I do have the EULA from
the HLDSUpdateTool.exe recently released. It states quite clearly that
as long as you're distributing the software in its entirety without any
modifications, you're fine:

  1.(...)
    (b) reproduce and distribute exact copies of the Program without
        charge, in the same form and with all associated files that
        the Program is received by Licensee pursuant to this Agreement,
        provided that Licensee will: (1) distribute copies of the
        Program only in object code format; (2) only distribute copies
        of the Program with this Agreement included and subject to the
        receiving party agreeing to the terms of this Agreement; and (3)

        preserve in all copies of the Program all copyright and legal
        notices that are attached to the copy of the Program received
        by Licensee pursuant to this Agreement.

--
Tim