/quote Daniel Stroven/end quote
> BP
>
> What did you change on your servers?

No flames, I'm always ready to be reasonable when a serious discussion is
at hand :)

The difference is all in -pingboost 3.  It's been on and off semi-randomly
in an attempt to see if anybody actually noticed.  I see some have :)  I
tried playing with sys_ticrate, and it definitely had a dramatic effect on
FPS, at the cost of much CPU for little observed benefit.  Changing it
from 100 to 200 to 500 to 1000 didn't help ping, it only ate CPU.  I was
seeing 900 FPS at times wirh ticrate 1000, but is that really a relevant
number?   It's running an average of 150 FPS with reasonable CPU.  Give me
a map and a player load and I can tell you exactly how much.

Kernel is untouched.  HZ is not a default option AFAIK on the 2.4.18
kernel and I don't relaly feel like mucking around with kernel patches
ATM.

Call it a dirty hack or workaround, but pingboost, and level 3 in
particular has been the magic bullet.  Levels 1 and 2 use less CPU but
also don't have the same dramatic effect on ping.

-BP