According to the great words of Tony Di Schino:
> Why? you made the choice to run secure. You can run HLG or CD if you
> want. no one is forcing you to run VAC. You know this, and I feel
> stupid telling you, because I know you know this.

HLG no longer works unless you go back to x.1.1.1. The HLG team has
clearly stated that they are not going to upgrade it to the 1.1.2.x
series. Once the WON servers are turned off, HLG will not longer be an
option.

CD works great, but it significantly reduces new players. The results
is that the server slowly becomes less and less popular as regulars
move on. To be successful, a servers need constant new blood.
Therefore, CD is also not a viable option for pub servers.

What I don't understand is why Valve doesn't use the CD model for VAC.
It just works so well and makes the most sense. If CD were incorporated
into the game so that players didn't have to go download it, there
would be considerably fewer cheaters and no impact on new players
finding the secure servers.

So the options are:

- play by yourself and a few loyal regulars on a cheat free server that
mostly sits idle
- play with cheaters on a full VAC server

Very sad.

-Mad

--
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a
proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

                – Prime Minister Jean Chrétien