It seems to log when it feels like it - got 3 last week that psychostats
picked up on, then no more. It did the same about 2 months ago, picked a
few up then stopped.

L 10/11/2003 - 02:16:04: Secure: "**D21** EL+Pkt<451><2332849><>" was
detected cheating and dropped from the server.

L 10/11/2003 - 06:30:07: Secure: "Soffe King SWE<578><3418122><>" was
detected cheating and dropped from the server.

L 10/15/2003 - 18:40:38: Secure: "Hybrid<2748><2442311><>" was detected
cheating and dropped from the server.

Maybe VAC just doesn't detect a great deal of anything anymore and is
just a waste of CPU cycles.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian A.
Stumm
Sent: 23 October 2003 02:32
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] VAC Updates (hello.. valve... anyone home??)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Tony Di Schino wrote:

> --- Delirium Tremens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well if VALVe isn't logging the bans/kicks, etc then WHY IN THE HELL
> > are
> > we even bothering with running VSM ?
> > If someone is cheating on -MY- server, I want to know about it...
> > Correction...  I have *EVERY RIGHT* to know about it, and for it to
> > be
> > logged.
>
> I think the logic is that they dont consider it your right... I think
> this is more an issue of Valve declaring that user connections to any
> server using VSM are under their domain. I agree to an extent, or at
> least I see the logic. Valve doesn't let you in on everything the app
> does, why should they in this case? Because they used to let you and
> now they are taking it away? Well, i dont know...
>
> Why do you have the right and why do you need to know? honestly, if
> they are banned and detected by VAC, they *aren't* coming back, for
all
> intents and purposes. If it is a matter of wanting to know who so you
> can ban the IP since the steam IDs arent being fruitfully enforced,
> then thats understood, but I think if this was fixed, then they are
> taking care of us and we dont really need to who was detected, when or
why.

Valve may think a 1 week ban is the appropriate punishment. I may think
1 month ban is a better punishment. Since I provide the server and make
no
money from it I should have a right to refuse service to anyone I want,
including those detected cheating. If valve is going to include
anticheat
technology in their software they should allow me, the server admin, to
decide what to do with the information it obtains. A global ban system
for
cheaters is cool but also allow the server admin to do what they feel is
the correct course of action as well... When Valve pays me to run a
server
they can tell me how to run it, until then I think its my choice on who
may and may not play on my servers and for what reasons...