--
At 09:28 PM 11/14/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Message: 3
>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:12:37 -0800
>From: m0gely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Re: hlds_linux digest, Vol 1 #3013 - 10 msgs
>
>So just to do some quick checking:
>
>BF1942 32 player requires a 6Mb line
>A dedicated DS3 is 45Mb
>A dedicated DS3 would max at seven 32 player BF servers
>
>A quick check at nuclearfallout.net for what a 32 player BF server runs shows
>$374/mo.  Times that by seven and get $2,618 monthly in server revenue.  Now,
>I'm not a smart man, but I know 45Mb line cost more than that, alot more.  I
>don't get it.

That's just insane and those are outdated prices. We charge $120 for a 32
slot BF server and although were not out to make a buck on gameservers, we
don't give them away as charity either.

Those high prices might have been legit 6 months ago when BF was a huge cpu
hog but they fixed that issue in version 1.38. Maybe that is where you guys
are getting that impression, old data? There was a 60% reduction in cpu
load a few months ago but I don't know how much the bandwidth traffic was
reduced if any.

I posted earlier some stats on the real life bandwidth usage we see on BF
servers. I changed that subject though not expecting this one to
continue... sorry about that.

Rick
--

---