Erik Johnson wrote:

There will be a new version of the HLDSUpdateTool released in the near
future (a couple of hours maximum) that will roll back the verify
functionality that is causing server administrators problems.

One point I'd like to raise on the subject of the updater (steam binary) is could we PLEASE have a connection timeout set on it? This goes for the Windows user client too.

In the past I've started it, left for work, and 10 hours later it's
still sitting there having done nothing while I've got a ton of users
complaining they haven't been able to play cs all day.

With timeouts implemented I could just leave it in a while(1) loop
instead of having to nurse it through the process...