They did try outsourcing anti-cheating, remember Punk Buster, as i
remember that originally a CS thing, honestly there is no really good
cheat prevention except good admins. no matter what yo do they will find
a way around it, they get there jollies off just trying to beat whatever
is put in place, hell i know ppl who crack satellite TV receivers all
the time, just to see if they can, it's not the whooping of ass in the
game they like, it's the challenge of trying to defeat the system, it's
what much of our misdirected youth does, they have no other real vent
for the energies, and they don't see a silly little game as doing
anything truely wrong, i admit it i have cheated in the past, and its
kind of fun, but i was always honest about it before i even fired a
round, the things these kids come up with to defeat the system is
amazing, so i guess what i'm saying is, fighting over what way is the
best anti-cheat method is silly, they will always figure out a way to
circumvent whatever method you come up with, that is most popular.

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 17:23, David Lee wrote:

> Cheating Death is not a solution. It is a temporary fix. A patch on top
> of a patch where neither work the way they should. All current anti
> cheat schemes for HL dont work. Valve's best bet would be to just
> outsource the cheat protection to a group who has a dedicated team to
> handling the problem. Punk Buster anyone? At least if this were to
> happen, one group would be responsible for the blame. Currently, all
> complaints get directed to another group when a cheat isnt detected. CD
> dont work? Well tell valve to fix vac. VAC dont work? Well maybe you
> should try VAC. See what i mean? Neither work, and CD only causes
> problems with steam updates and does something that steam should do.
>
> Valve just use punk buster. Let them worry about the cheats. 1.6 in its
> current state needs enough to be fixed in the server code alone. You
> guys really can't afford to be wasting your manhours on VAC as well.
>

> Ender wrote:
>
> > C-D is third party. We don't want a third party solution. This divides
> > the people working on it, the servers running it, and the users using it.
> > Especially when it doesnt work 100%
> >
> > ruwen wrote:
> >

> --
>
> *Thanks,*
>
> /David Lee/

If you MUST get married, it is always advisable to marry beauty.
Otherwise, you'll never find anybody to take her off your hands.
--
Nicholas Hockey [KC2MMR]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]