It is time! I am building a linux box and am about to embrace Linux.

So - what is a good distro to use? I considered RedHat, but RedHat as we
know it has been discontinued. They are moving to a commercial distro, and
Fedora, which is still in early beta, if not alpha. I have Mandrake, and am
tempted to join the Mandrake club but I'm not sure it's worth the $$.  Who
is running hlds on a linux box, and what distro are you using?

Once I get it up and running, what kind of gotchas can I look forwards to,
running hlds on a linux box?