From: m0gely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Bring it on :D
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:43:14 -0800

D N wrote:
It can also pull down all kinds of unsavory stuff, local root exploits,
rootkits, you name it. Plus, you can sit and leech bandwidth all day, DOS
other sites/individuals/companies/government, etc.

Are you thiking of just offering a default install of an OS? C'mon. With a half heated attempt at securing your box alot of that can be avoided.

Show me how to prevent users from wgetting at will.

Yeah ok then :)

Yes, for shell you can run a restricted shell, chroot, etc.

They can all be broken. No elitism from you can change that.

Sounds like a great thing to give my users!!!

Sounds like a pretty stupid user to be screwing around on a server with root kits when you have their credit card info, mailing address and phone number all of which are verified. Or are you saying you don't bother with all that?

It all comes down to who has the keys. Are you aware there is rampant password-sharing going on? What if one of those people gives it to their friend, who then screws you over?

You gonna sue him for $100?

Its not worth my time OR the end users time, therefore ssh isnt given,
period. Much easier and nothing is lost.

-- - m0gely http://quake2.telestream.com/ Q2 | Q3A | Counter-strike