I wouldn't call it anecdotal, as this subject has been rehashed
adnauseum for years now.  Its just a fact, that a couple years ago and
beyond, the linux hlds server outperformed the windows one hands down
all day long.   then in the last year or two, linux performance has
slowly but surely taken a nose dive.  yes, windows has as well, but
linux has at a much higher right, so that if you have the resources and
admin capability, that windows *right now* is a better choice for a hl
server.  that, as we will all tell you, is quite a shame.

kev

Mike Donahue wrote:
I'm very much surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) at the ratio of analytical to
anecdotal evidence in this thread.  I know that a lot of you make money by
hosting game servers, and usually when money is on the line, people get a
lot more serious about value for the money.

Based on the comments thus far, it seems it's *impossible* that win2k3 could
outperfom *nix, and if it does for HLDS, it's only because of poorly coded
binaries.

Again, some sort of validation behind that would be interesting to know.

Anyway, like I promised, I'll post spec/benchmark comparisons when the
migration is finished.

Mike