On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 02:19:34 +0200, Philip Lorenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Steven Hartland wrote:
>
> > Read the mail list archives and you will find the answer.
> > Basically u need to upgrade your OS unless Valve do
> > a compile compatible with older versions :(
> >
> >    Steve / K
>
> It's time for ya to upgrade anyways ;p. Debian Woody is kinda out of
> date anyways and Sarge is about to be released (as stable) soon. For all
> you FreeBSD users, it's a linux port so please don't b*tch about that it
> doesn't work for you. The only reason the old HLDS worked was becaused
> it was built for older glibcs (ok if this is wrong correct me (i havent
> tried cs:s on a freebsd machine yet)). I think it's about time that all
> GSPs update to the "newer" glibc 2.3 which has been around for a while.

There is a 'hack' you can do which worked fine for me on the dedicated
box I run which is still on glib 2.2.x....

Simply I downloaded the gentoo stage3 tarball.. Untarred into a folder
(/root/gentoo for me).  Made a folder /root/gentoo/home/steam and
copied the contents of my existing steam folder over. did a mount -t
proc none /root/gentoo/proc then chrooted in.. env-update and a source
/etc/profile to get my gentoo environment.. Then I emerged vim (cause
I like vim) created the steam user in the chroot environment, changed
ownership of the steam folder and it's contents.. su - steam and run
srcds_run happy as can be :).

Overkill mainly.. But when you're done the whole lot can just be
removed with no harm done.. So it a good temp workaround if you don't
want to re-install just yet. (dedicated box - no I don't want to just
yet ;))