It's the kernel Hz, not FPS. The kernel Hz i beleive is involved with how
quickly the system timer polls the interrupts? I'm not totally sure on the
technicalities of it, so i'm just making vaguely-educated guesses. With
100HZ, there is a 10ms delay before an application can grab a slice of CPU
time, or before any I/O action can happen? With just one or two real-time
processes on a box, this isn't too bad, but as soon as you get past that,
there will be huge problems with servers fighting for CPU time.

Thus a server having 1000 *HZ*, not FPS, does mean a lot to the client, and
even more to the host. There's no way that you can get the most out of your
hardware in terms of server processes on one physical piece of hardware
without pusing the HZ as far as it will go, as most gaming engines are too
sensitive and are made so that the results of failing to have a slice of CPU
time when it's needed can be fairly catastrophic in terms of performance for
clients.

Really the main thing is that before the frames are sent out by the server
to the client (here I agree - anything more than 120 fps is a bit silly in
terms of actual frames going down a wire), all the calculations have to be
done also! So how on earth is the server going to manage to make the correct
calculations and put together the frames, regardless of sending them out to
clients at anything more than 50fps without modifying the HZ, or another
similar setting, which is why the kernel HZ is modified.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw the snip before I saw these replies.
I found it funny at least :-)

Chris Adams