Or maybe people found a more attractive formula with Frag.Ops powered by
Epic's Unreal Engine.
Despite of all the CS clones that are around for many Engine's including
comercial and open source, I still can't figure what makes CS so
special, but then again, what does make DoD so special ?
In the past years I bought pretty much games concerning WW II, including:

Medal of Honor
Spearhead
RTC Wolfenstein
Call of Duty

Then tryed others:

The Red Orchestra
Enemy Territory
The Third Reich

Still, the only one I play on a regular basis is DoD. First the
community is not that large (unfortunatly the lame people from CS have
arrived in strengh and the united community because suspicious and mined).

WW II for me, as close as it gets to real war experience comes with DoD
(crosshairs should be removed and added iron sights only, the only thing
it misses). For those who have been in a war, or close to war, either
engaged or either in UN special mission, like in Timor, or Bosnia, trust
me, the closest you get to the real fight is present in DoD.

It's a pitty Valve doesn't make a stand-alone game for WW II with the
same ingredients from DoD.

As for CS, I only fell confortable playing CS in LAN Houses (eventually
on HomeLAN, though don't step there for a long time, since the pings
accross continents are too high for me), because cheaters usually get
taken care off when caught there.

As for the rest...

Chill out and let them work on their stuff and solve their legal issues
with VUG... and some russian pirates...

I will get HL2 if there's a conversion of DoD to the new engine, else I
will continue cursing ID Software for not being able to play Doom III on
a super-computer at Ultra over 15 fps, spitting on Epic UT2004 fucked up
CD's that they refused to swap, with their dumbass support claiming I
should have my SCSI Plextor 40x drive set on PIO Mode 4 for it to work...

Oh well... Thats the kinda shit you pay when you get into a business
where your products have an average life of months... SDK's have changed
it... Mod's take people to buy keys... else what ? ;)

Oh... I am sure many people will love the day when ID's Q3 Engine comes
open source, or when the Tenebrae2 project gets stable (if not dead)...

As for my personal opinion if still reading all this... Grab one of
those Cohiba's on the black oak box on top of your desk, get a glass and
the 30 year old James Martins, seat back... and enjoy... Tomorrow is
another day for gossip, problems, troll handling and so on...

Greets.

Micheal Patterson wrote:

I can only speak for myself on this.

I was thrilled to hear that the beta would be out shortly for CS Source.
However, like many I assume, once I found out that it was a "limited"
beta, available to only those that were either a cafe or those that
purchased CZ, I was turned off by the beta project. Not so much at the
beginning but when I read the faq that clearly states that the CZ owners
can't keep Source after the beta period, it turned the tide for me at
least. Especially with the release date of HL2 in the flux that it's in.
I just don't feel it appropriate or economical for me to purchase CZ,
when HL2 could be available at literally any time or never. For me to
purchase CZ, just to play Source Beta, doesn't seem economical to me in
the least. Even at $29.99, I can take that, and approx $40.00 more and
purchase HL2 the day it's released.

In my opinion, the opening of the beta to CZ owners is nothing more than
a ploy to get people to purchase CZ. My guess is that it's not selling
as well as Valve had hoped it would. Here's my reasoning behing that
statement folks. There's no need to flame, the numbers are available to
anyone who wishes to check them with their own steam client.

Based on a current check via Steam:

Total CZ Servers:    526
With Players:            185

Total CS Servers: 8042
With Players:          2208

CZ simply isn't as popular as the old basic CS is and I feel that Valve
is using the source Beta to boost it's sales to decrease it's losses on
the product. No thanks.. I'll wait until it's out. I don't want CZ, and
as soon as HL2 and CS Source is released, CZ will be a dead product in
the light of the end users for the most part. Those that purchased CZ,
I'm sorry, but I feel you've been jacked in a major way. You can flame
all you wish, but the numbers of servers that anyone of us can pull from
steam, at any given time, simply don't lie and they spell out JACKED.

--

Micheal Patterson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 3:38 PM Subject: RE: [hlds_linux] CS:S Maps

I fully understand the meaning of beta test, but what use is a beta test without a decent amount of data, feedback and updates.

There has been a massive drop in the number of players on all "beta"
servers
and the biggest question I see in logs is maps, I asked the question
Alfred
was kind enough to reply.

I am resigned like many to a long wait for both HL2 and CSS and have
been
for many years already. I was just expressing my concern at the lack of
players we were seeing and therefore the lack of feedback we can offer.
If
valve really needs this "beta" testing then we need to see more regular
fixes and or something to keep the interest of players. Because without
players this beta test is useless, I can’t force people to play on the
servers and without players on servers there is little we can test
outside
of the server working on our hardware setups.

As you said people get bored and just want to play but there are some of
us
that want to help however without controlled servers from valve we all
have
to do our own beta testing this thin's out the real testers and you can’t
test fully playing alone.

Maybe the next stage is to release this to whole CS community at least
then
we would have a much higher number of players for servers.

I don’t care if I host 5 servers, 200 servers or none what I do care
about
is that I do my best to help and give as much feedback as possible I am
happy to offer all the feed back from an empty server but I am sure this
is
of little help to valve, this is why I am thinning down my servers as
the
numbers of players fall unlike others who are just using them to
advertise.

I should have really thrown a smiley on the end of the comment about the release as it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Mark