I also noted that the retail boxes don't mention DOD:S at all, or getting
the back catalog of STEAM... Which I assume is everything currently
available on Steam today.. HL1, Opposing Force, TFC, CS 1.6, CZ, DMC,
Ricochet, etc.. Speaking of which, why doesn't STEAM have Blue Shift
available for purchase anywhere?

DoD doesn't seem to be on the Vivendi Games distribution deal with Valve. That's why its only on steam packages. TFC: Sorce doesnt make much sense if they still have TF2 under development.

Blue shift is not yet ported to Steam and it can't be installed as a HL1
mod because it uses a modified engine AFAIK.