In a bold display of creativity, Frash wrote:
I think I can speak on behalf of all of us if I request to ask Vivendi to
reconsider this. It might even drive
some people to do... well lets say not wanted things. For instance making
ISOs and emulating the DVD,
just because they dont like their CD player being occupied. The difference
is just too big with Steam subscribers that can click and play.

VU is, like most retailing corporations of their size, gambling on the average consumer to be about as sharp as a sack of wet mush. It's an intelligent gamble, as the odds are stacked greatly in their favor. VU also cares nothing about customer loyalty, "the fans", etc. They're gambling that the same dull-witted morons who loved HL will do whatever it takes to get HL2, including screw around with their DVD-ROM, no matter how unreasonable it may be.

--
Eric (the Deacon remix)