> Why would a user who bought a VU distributed piece of VALVe software...
>
> Go to steam to report a fault?

Back when OP4 came out, and a lot of people were having the exact same
problem - IE screwball copy protection that didn't work on all drives -
those that had problems had to go to ...um...Sierra, I believe, it's been a
few years...and complain to them, not Valve. I went through this and Sierra
finally offered to give me back my money. At that point, I found a no-CD
crack, and I was able to play.