They'll fix it - seems like when Steam was first live - people could create
multiple accounts - but they caught up with 'em and killed 'em.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Already there is a HL2 online exploit....VALVE
please fix!

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:08:19 +1030, Melissa Carley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
Valve...

Already there is a HL2 online exploit...someone from what I can gather
can basically get a warez type release of the game and crack it so
that they can play online without a valid steam id or some description
like that.

As a game admin - this could be an issue, especially with
banning...etc...

Here is a copy of the NFO regarding how to apparently do this. I have
not tested this out and i do not intend for anyone else to either. I
would like Valve to investigate this and patch it ASAP.
[SNIP]

I'm not convinced posting the workaround here is very helpful. It
would have been far better to mail Alfred directly first. Now a lot
more people know about the exploit.