> rl -- RealTek 8129/8139 Fast Ethernet device driver

Not to offend anyone using or having written the 'rl' driver for FreeBSD,
but I'd suspect and replace any realtech based card with an Intel based
card.
It is possible you had a faulty NIC, but I can tell you that I've gotten
far better performance from an 'fxp' as compared to a 'rl' based card.
I have several FreeBSD servers running UT2K and SOF2, and have never had
any problem with their Intel based NICs. I have had problems with realtech
based NICs.
Bottom line, replace that bad Intel NIC with another good card, not one
that is  of lower quality.

Jeff Love
Burgh Gaming