At 03.53 14/03/2005, you wrote:
I have also read that in order to run HLDS at 1000FPS, one would need to
recompile the kernel at 1000Hz and set sys_ticrate at 1000 (and having a
system that can handle that load. duh). No problem.

I can reply only to this part of your e-mail. If you're going to use the 2.6.X kernel you don't need to trecomplie it. The new 2.6 is, i think for almost all the distros, configured for the 1000Hz as a default. If you use the 2.4.X you need to manually change ther HERTZ parameter and recompile the kernel.