--On Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:08 PM +0100 Steven Hartland
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Indeed all port MUST be able to be to be explicitly specified otherwise
by by servers. It not feasible to have one port randomly assign itself
BETA or not people should know by now, need another port create
config param for it, the two should be one.

Absolutely!

Related question: If the desired port is unavailable, should the binary
still try to grab the next one available, or hard-fail? I'd prefer the
latter, because I'd want to know if the port moved, and not have it
silently shift around due to some unrelated phenomenon. But for some that
might mean a middle-of-the-night call when a server mysteriously goes down.
Perhaps another config parameter to select the failure mode is called for.