On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:56:42 -0500, Alfred Reynolds
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I find myself being asked quite often about what CPU/net requirements it
takes to run a server. I have answers based upon our internal
playtesting but I would also like to hear what you guys use in the wild.

So, my questions are:
1) What speed CPU do you use for a 32 player HL1 server (CS 1.6)
   Dual Xeon 2.8ghz, 1g ram
2) What speed CPU do you use for a 32 player Source server (CS:S)
   Same as above
3) How much bandwidth per user do you allow for a HL1 server
er, doesn't really matter. we open it up.

4) How much bandwidth per user do you allow for a Source server
5) How much difference is there in these requirements for other mods?

 We really don't change anything.  DOD and NS do require a bit more power,
but we
don't put more than 1 32 player server on a box at a time.

It also depends upon what pingboost is required, and what sys_ticrate is
set to
as well. I could  have a 32 player server on one machine, with a maxed out
sys_ticrate and
pingboost 3, and I wouldn't be able to put anything else on the server.

Otherwise, I can normally put a 32 player, and a couple private 12-man
servers on one box without any performance hits.

--
Mike "DaiTengu" Miller
151 Hosting

Operations Director