>     We are under the assumption that the processor can
> handle 3 instances of HLDS without a problem. But we're
> not sure why this 3rd HLDS process is making such a big
> difference in game server performance. Does anyone have
> any ideas? Is it the RAM? Have we configured the kernel
> wrong? Any suggestions would be very helpful!

I'd contest that you dont have four CPU's. You have two real
ones and two "fake" HT impressions of CPUs.
I'm guessing that with two instances of HLDS with AMX and
heavy pingboost with high FPS, you are using almost all of
the real processors, yet your OS is counting the fake ones
towards the overall load (thus in effect making it seem
low).
When you fire up the third instance, this is asking more
than the CPU's can provide and thus you see the performance
issues.
I'd bet that you'd see almost identical behaviour with HT
off as on.

Matt