the two are related though.  I run [EMAIL PROTECTED] on my machines.
cpu usage is pegged @100% and my load is always at 1.0.  Now
folding @ home is run at the lowest priority but if anything else
starts using the cpu then the load start creeping above 1.x.  <y
machines have to start showing a load average of about 3 before i
start seeing slowdowns.  So load is tied to cpu usage in a way.
I run a cs 1.6 server on my dell box.  It normally uses @ 35%
when full and the load gets up to around 1.5 when it starts
getting full(the server)  I also run a teamspeak server off this
box.

Either way the simple way to put it is this.  For CS..I turned
off HT because the accuracy of cpu usage and load averages was
greatly improved.  For multiple procs under CS turn off ht as
cs1.6 is not a linear program like streaming multimedia or file
compression which is what HT is designed to accelerate.
Cs1.6(and SRCDS both use a ton of FPU random calculations and HT
is not going to help here.  Turn it off.  I bet both your servers
are chewing up more than 50% of cpu each..so when you try to add
a third you simply do not have enough cpu.  BTW..I run FPS 334
with no pingboost and ticrate of 500.  This is in CentOS-4(RHEL-4
AS clone).  When my 14 slot server gets full i still stay way
above 150 and nobody complains of lag.

So in essence..turn off HT....then see what your cpu utilization
is.  If each cpu is below 50% then you can run a third.  if not i
would suggest removing pingboost(it's a cpu hog anyways) and
check again.

My cs1.6 configuration:
ticrate 500, hlguard with all detections on and sensitivities
turned up HLG 1.71, admin-mod, metamod, logd, logdImpressive.
14 users with 2 reserved
Dell sc420 celeron 2.54 ghz with 512 megs ram 40 gig sata hdd

Clayton Macleod wrote:
it's spelled out rather clearly in the man pages. It's how many
processes used the CPU during the last 1 minute, 5 minutes, and 15
minutes. My wicked old 500MHz P3 is sitting in the closet running a
handful of stuff for the rest of the computers in the house. It
routinely has a load average of between 1.5 and 2.5, with a handful of
java apps that use about 65-70% CPU. That machine pretty much always
has about 25% idle CPU, it's never really maxed out. Yet the load
average sits between 1.5 and 2.5. There's still CPU left over for
other things. The load average definitely does not tell you anything
directly about active/idle CPU cycles. It only deals with *how many
processes* are running and actively using CPU. Man pages clearly state
this. Experience clearly shows this.

For some reason people seem to think that a 1.0 load average means
your CPU is being used 100%, when this couldn't be more wrong. If that
were true you could never have a load average greater than 1.0, now
could you? With that line of thinking you would need to have a dual
CPU system to ever see a load average of 2.0, and this is obviously
not the case. Load average is only one factor that should govern your
choice in whether or not your servers need upgrading. The actual
amount of idle CPU time should be a bigger factor than load average.
As should memory usage. Load average only tells you so much, it's
still useful but it definitely is not the only thing you should look
at. It is way down the list of what you should consider, actually.