It seems srcds IO detects kind of output and tries to optimize buffering
when output is not a terminal. May be, if we could make the srcds think
output is a terminal it wouldn't buffer. Anyway, I got tired of trying
this and took the '\n' solution.

Alexander Schäfer wrote:

I feared it would be something with the buffer.
>file.txt 2>&1 will work in if waiting for the buffer to be filled
(just tried myself). however if srcds crashes the buffer gets lost
and not flushed. (and thats where logging is actually usefull). Since
you can't change input behaviour (srcds -> perlscript), you actually
have to send srcds an \n which is unreliable, expecially if you miss
the important line crashing/shutting down the server. This suckz,
can't you somehow enforce that no buffering will be used (dunnow,
cmdline option)? And why is the console output with a terminal reallife?

bye mbalex