-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dan
Sorenson
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 5:02 PM
To: hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds_linux] DoD:S update, salivate or sleep?

        It's a quarter of 11pm Central Standard time right now,
yet hlds does not yet show a DoD:S game as an option.  I know Valve
has a release date of Monday 5pm CST.  I know, if Valve is anything
like the companies I've worked for, that developers are busy hammering
out bugs and new code and violating three laws of physics just to
come up with a miracle fix by release date and they'll patch it later,
managers are interrupting them every three to five minutes asking
for "status reports" and Gabe is probably chewing on his fingernails
at home while scribbling out revisions to a press release he hopes
he won't have to make.

        It's crunch time, at Valve.  Everybody knows what it's like.

        For the server admins, we're standing by ready to update and
launch.  Should we wait on pins and needles or grab some pillow
time and assume we'll have something to work with on Monday?

        For that matter, can we get an update that at least allows
us to download the game content, even if the server isn't ready?
Valve won't release the clients until the server is ready, but why
not get the maps, sounds, models and such pre-downloaded by the
servers since that content is finalized?  Yes, it's an extra
revision to the code, but given the content is in final it's a
lot of implementation time that can be moved ahead of the first
release, which thus allows bug reports to come in much faster.

        Which reminds me, welcome back from vacation Alfred!
I hope you had a wonderful, relaxing time, because I don't
envy what you're returning to.

                - Dan

* Dan Sorenson      DoD #1066      A.H.M.C. #35     [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vikings?  There ain't no vikings here.  Just us honest farmers.   *
* The town was burning, the villagers were dead.  They didn't need  *
* those sheep anyway.  That's our story and we're sticking to it.   *