At 07:48 PM 9/26/2005 -0700, dackz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm running a 24 player server on dual 2.8 GHz Intel Xeons, with HT
>enabled, and a 2.4.x kernel. When a round starts and everyone is near
>each other, things rubberband like crazy. Players often get stuck
>together when they're brushing against each other. Even when two people
>are a foot away from each other everything gets laggy.

        I've been noticing that myself, both on Windows and Linux
servers, so I don't think it's unique to this forum.  However, just
to aid in diagnosis I've also noticed that it seems like the player
models are larger than in the previous version, as in people cannot
run past each other in certain narrow alleyways, and when near other
players at any time they act as obstacles even though they appear,
on the screen, to be two or three feet away.  Servers range from
AMD 3500's under Win2k3 to Intel 3.8's under Slakware, networks from
single T1's to DS3's.

     While we're at it, a number of players reported adding the
command-line flag to go back to DX8.1 and reported significant FPS
improvements even with DirectX9 video cards.  The Radeon 9700 and
9800, and the GeForce 6600 were specifically mentioned.  In all
other respects the game was greeted with shouts of approval.

     Sorry to cut short the memories of that beach, Alfred.  I
doubt crunch time at Valve has ended for this week.

     As an aside to Valve, thanks for the preload option for the
server content.  It helped a great deal, shortening significantly the
time between official release and our servers able to accept clients.
I'd suggest this as the standard roll-out model of any new game.

                -- Dan

* Dan Sorenson      DoD #1066      A.H.M.C. #35     [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vikings?  There ain't no vikings here.  Just us honest farmers.   *
* The town was burning, the villagers were dead.  They didn't need  *
* those sheep anyway.  That's our story and we're sticking to it.   *