Here is what I did (mine is in the attic, two floors up) when I want to
access the gui

Install vncserver
create a batch file in the root of the account I am using (not ROOT!)
that has the following:

vncserver -interface <LANIPOFTHEMACHINE> -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 :1

save it and make it executable

I also make killvnc.bat with the following, also executable:

vncserver -kill :1

-----------------------------------
I run the machine with no front end, but when I want one, I log in via
SSH and

./vnc

then I stop the ssh connection.

Then using VNC viewer connect to <IPOFTHEMACHINE:5901>

If I want to kill it, I kill the session after I'm done I use ./killvnc,
but usually I leave it running and it's ready for my VNC connection
whenever I want it.

ScratchMonkey wrote:

--On Saturday, October 15, 2005 3:18 PM -0500 Genocidal