--On Saturday, November 12, 2005 9:22 PM -0800 m0gely
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ben Kennish wrote:

Well in my case it was the character limit causing problems but
this is very interesting anyway.  I wonder why Valve aren't using a
pre-existing rendering engine such as Gecko / IE to save these kinds of
problems?

AFAIK, the game uses IE.  I believe Alfred has stated this on the list.

The latest Mozilla builds use the Cairo back-end for the Gecko engine.
Cairo has a more modular structure allowing it be used with other than the
conventional 2D video card interfaces. In particular, it can be used with
the 3D part of the card (eg. via OpenGL), which is where all the speed is,
and it can render to a chunk of memory in 3D texture memory. What's
interesting about the latter is that you could render a web browser to an
in-game texture and map it onto an in-game object, like, say, a terminal.
Imagine all the UI things that fall out once you're able to to do that. And
because Mozilla is platform-independent, you can have this in Linux and
console games based on the same code.