--On Monday, November 14, 2005 8:23 AM -0800 m0gely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

I think it's funny that you talk about this like you know what's really
going on here.  We have no idea what the reason for this limitation is.

I write enough code (and read tons more) that I can make an educated guess.

  And since they provided an easy enough way around it rather than
remove the limitation itself, there must be a good reason it's still
there.

Sure: Programmer time is expensive. Game server admin time is cheap. They
don't have to pay *us*. (I'd probably make the same choice in their shoes.
Hopefully they fix it in the next engine.)

It's also an effect of closed source. I use another company's engine that's
licensed very cheaply, so lots of people get to see it (and submit
patches). If you know outsiders will be looking at your code, you tend to
work a bit harder to make it clean. Closed source is rewarded by money.
Open source is rewarded by ego.