Considering my cpu usage with 14 players max..rate of 10k..ticrate of
500 and max cpu spikes of 50% with an average of less than 20% i'll take
any possible elevation of cpu usage for thee better memory management of
2.6.  I am running 1.6, adminmod, hlguard and steambans.  I have the
hlguard's wick turned all the way up as well.

When i ran this setup on 2.4 my cpu usage was about the same but i had
memory management issues.  2.6 kept my cpu usage the same..removed the
memory management problems and increased server performance.

This machine is a Dell sc420 2.45 ghz p-3 celey machine with 512 megs
ram and a 40 gig 7200 rpm sata drive..:)

Jens Werner wrote:
I use 2.6 and a ticrate of 500.  2.4 is throttled by the lower kernel HZ
setting but that can be changed.

Yes, I know, but if it works, does the same (at least for players) and
takes less cpu, why change it?

2.4's memory management at least for
me was not what i liked.  2.6's is much better.

I agree for normal case, so it was exactly what I meant: Maybe 2.4 is a
good alternative for using ticrate 100?

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099