If there is a memory leak, there is a memory leak.  Not giving the
process memory will only result in it crashing or aborting.  When you
set a limit if the process tries to go past it fails trying to
allocate memory, for hlds this is fatal, imagine hlds is trying to
allocate memory for a new player that joined, only it couldn't
allocate the space to store their name or steam id.  You get the idea.
 Valve or gnu or  where ever  the actual problem lies needs to fix it.

-sb