From: "Joseph Laws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] RE: 64Bits Compatiblity

Reduced CPU usage, reduced MEM usage, more stable server refresh rates.
IF there was no point in 64bit, why are there 64bit versions of *nix and
Windows?

Jon McDermott wrote:

Not to be a Luddite, but the benefits of a srcds_l / hlds_l server that
runs as a 64 bit binary escape me. The server software does not seem to
have a need to huge amounts of memory, and it seems difficult to
demonstrate any significant differences in application throughput when
you compare 64 bit builds versus 32 bit builds. Would a srcds_l / hlds_l
give better performance as a 64 bit binary? Reduce CPU usage? Give
players a better server to play on?

So someone help me, what would be the advantage of a 64 bit dedicated
server?

dackz wrote:

If you're talking about the Source Dedicated Server, there aren't any
64-bit binaries released yet. I presume the engine_amd binary is just
optimized for AMD CPUs in general.

If 64-bit binaries were released, you'd need one for every binary in the
bin/ folder, as well as one for all the mods you run.

David A S Carter wrote:

Is it me or would you not want to run the "AMD"64 binary when running
EMT64?