As I understand the process scheduler, it there's no real difference
between, say, nice -10 and nice -20 in most cases.  On my system, the
highest-priority threads are some kernel threads, and they're running at
-5 right now; thus it would make no difference if I reniced a process
-10 or -20, as they would pre-empt even those kernel threads either way.

Thus the trying of different levels.  Try, say, -20, -5, 0, and 5
multiple times, and wait a minute or between switches.  See if it's
actually the process of renicing that spikes it, or just the fact that
you're prioritizing that process.