Under linux 2.4 and earlier the gettimeofday() call has around a 10msec
increments between updates (i.e it has nanosecond resolution but the OS
only changes the time once per scheduler update). The larger the wall
clock time between updates to the clock value the worse the server will
perform, and if the clock value isn't monotonically increasing (i.e
never goes backwards) you could see bad effects (choke could be one of
them).

- Alfred