--
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 05:31:19 -0400
Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> bubbled:

> gettimeofday() replaced times(), at least on freebsd. also,
> gettimeofday()'s results will change, depending on if your OS uses
> ACPI, TSC, HPET, 8254 etc..

gettimeofday replaces times? The two functions are for a different
behaviour. The one is for the system time, the other for the process
time.
Also gettimeofday uses nanoseconds and times uses clock ticks.

> I don't think RDTSC will work on SMP machines.

Well, SMP Linux should syncronize the RDTSC of the cores on boot. Any I
don't believe anyone runs the cores with different speeds.
So this shouldn't be a problem?! But I could be wrong, I never coded
time stuff on SMP machines.

> Personally, I think gettimeofday() is alot better than what microsoft
> has for timekeeping.

No clue what Microsoft offers for timekeeping.

--
MyExcuse:
Telecommunications is downshifting.

Martin Zwickel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>