On Nov 23, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Alfred Reynolds wrote:

The idea is an interesting one but the value would come from effective
implementation. As I said last time, implement it and if managed
properly I am sure we would fine it a valuable source (we already use
Steampowered forum threads but the signal to noise ration can be quite
poor).

(hlds_apps, sorry about the cross-post but I felt this was relevant.)

Alright. I think what happened last time is, after you said this,
someone threw up a tracker and it promptly fizzled. I don't think it
was the fault of anyone in particular, it just didn't get enough
momentum.

So! Anyone, If you're interested in DEVELOPING or CUSTOMIZING a bug
tracking system for the community and valve to use jointly, please
email me personally. Given enough interest, I will setup a mailing
list until our program becomes relevant enough to bother Alfred about
putting up a related list. Put something like "Valve Bug tracker" in
the subject so I can find it quickly. This is not necessarily
something that requires pure programming effort: if you have ideas to
contribute, or you're a HTML jockey, etc, we can use you.

For those not following the hlds_linux thread, I'm personally leaning
towards bugzilla (and will be exploring that ASAP) but have no reason
to stick to it, given willing contributors to another system. Our
current (tentative) requirements are a voting system to promote bugs
to attention, the ability to have valve bring community bugs into an
internal tracker, and the ability to have bugs with opaque
descriptions (to protect valve and its users against the wanton
posting of exploit information).

--
Erik Hollensbe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]