great posting, /signed !

ics schrieb:
There are some things which are rather disturbing. Like news and
information about latest outbreak (yes, downtime of services)

No news about steam being offline, except a small note on forums done by
forum moderators. Every external site, mostly related to gaming had news
about steam network being down due to storm or something. Why not post
it directly into steam news section the make it clear? Got something to
hide? The forum post besides stated that everything was ok and it was
not. All the valve fanboys (=forum moderators) rushed to post news about
everything being ok too soon and started locking up topics about the
current issues at hand. Cant people talk about it? At that time, linux
servers were not working. Steam clients for users were, but there were
only like ~3000servers online, those including the ones that havent been
rebooted yet and if they were, they would not come back online due to
steam problems. What i heard, windows srcds were working fine and this
shows how many servers more there are actually are running on linux. No
notification ANYWHERE for the people who RUN THE SERVERS. Not even from
the forum moderators on srcds windows and linux section. How about
setting a separate news section for technical news if current steam news
is inappropriate? Yeah srcds is free, however servers are not where it
gets ran by server admins. Most of the latest updates have been
extreamly hostile towards the people who run the servers. Many features
available where disabled and most of us dont like that. Besides,
co-location of servers in other continent, for example at europe would
not be that hard nor it would cost too much. All you need is a duplicate
server farm of the original located in europe relaying data.
Even if it would be just for the auth-servers 0:0 and 0:1. Set up
adverts to cs source servers and im sure server operators will become
even more hostile towards the whole community. It feels like we are
being kicked to the head time to time with no information about what is
becoming. I understand its Your game but We play it and run it on our
servers. You are depending from Us as We are depending on You. Players
are like sheeps and they do what they are told to do and accept the
updates as great ideas or feel them as bad as they are, not being able
to do anything about it except quit playing. Well we can do the same,
accept changes or go closing servers. We aint that far yet though. Well
players paid about the game already so why would they be important
anymore? Running servers is becoming more pointless if we cant decide
what features we want to run and what not. Players can decide which
servers do they play, they can swap themselves to another server if they
dont like the current one. Besides, if you integrate adverts to the
servers and get all the profit, then why would you think most of us
would like to look adverts on our servers which were free from adverts
before? Make us buy a srcds without adverts? I will not run a server
with adverts to players, even if they are not "disturbing" ones. Text
adds might be tolerable, but not if they get spammed every 2 mins.
Generally i dont want to see adverts while i play.

New year is coming. Maybe it would be good idea to ask the community
what they want to see in CS Source in the future so it wont turn against
Steam and its games. As far as i can see, i picked up 50 servers today
at random to see how many servers actually use Dynamic Pricing. Shocking
or not, or maybe i just hit the wrong servers at random but 7 out of 50
used DWP only. Maybe it wasnt such a good feature at all as it havent
worked ok for months like we all know who have been monitoring the
system. Also good idea would be correct the steam client and CS Source
flaws which include:

- Random logging out from steam after you quit the game and next time
you try to start gamee, it only shows pre-loaded. (Trick to restart
steam to see new games on webstore?)
- Disappearing favorite servers list (yes it really is disappearing and
appearing at random or is this feature ment to make players not so
dependant from few servers and play on others too?)
- Cant log in, removing the ClientRegistry.blob is the only solution.
- Rebuy issues on CS Source caused by Dynamic Pricing? When you hit
rebuy, it doesnt buy defusal kit or kevlar every time as it should be.
Also kevlar shows that you can buy it if you have no money for it.
- Scoreboard bug on CS Source - right after you die, go spec and back
and receive 1 kill as reward. Works every time.

These are the ones i encounter time to time myself when i play and
others have reported to have same issues. Every day someone asks at IRC
help with steam because it doesnt start. We always tell them to remove
the *.blob after trying steam restart few times and removing *.blob
really helps. Some are not that critical but they are annoying. I
propably forgot few but these came up to my mind. I hope this is not
becoming a flaming fire between the community and valve, but more of an
discussion operner about the upcoming features. Im sure creating more
changing of ideas between community would be a good idea. How about
doing a survey through steam about what players want?

-ics