Seems like I have fixed the problem with server lag (hopefully) from
03/13/07 update. Problem seems to be related rather old libc6
c-libraries or it's threading bugs in Debian Sarge (sarge/amd64 in my
case, maybe others too). First the specs,

Hardware:
Tyan S2882 MB
Dual Processor AMD Opteron 240
4GB Memory

Software:
Linux Vserver domain (2.2.0-rc18)
Linux kernel 2.6.20.3 (SMP, Low Latency Desktop, 1000Hz)
Debian Sarge (AMD64, unofficial)

What have I done, simply upgraded libc6 libraries and ia32-libs. I
woudn't want to break working Sarge installation. So I've done it by
pulling only needed libs from upcoming Debian Etch. First adding a
Debian repository to /etc/apt/sources.list:

 deb http://ftp.<country-code>.debian.org/debian etch main

Then by trial/error tweaking /etc/apt/preferences:

 Package: *
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 200

 Package: libc6
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 999

 Package: ia32-libs
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 999

 Package: dpkg
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 999

 Package: coreutils
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 999

 Package: lib32asound2
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 999

 Package: libasound2
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 999

 Package: libselinux1
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 999

 Package: libsepol1
 Pin: release a=testing
 Pin-Priority: 999

Then did "apt-get update". After that, manually un-checked, by using
dselect, unneeded programs and libraries. Don't install everything it
suggests. Double check the list before installing/upgrading packages.
Then just use [I]nstall in dselect. I don't know how to do this in apt-get.

You might want to restart the whole system (or virtual domain) to be
sure that every process is using the newer c-libraries.

If you have i386 version of Debian, you don't need ia32 emulation
libraries, only first 2 entries in /etc/apt/preferences is needed.

Beware that newer c-libraries could break some programs, so don't use it
in production environment.

- Onis