I cant take credit for this, so go read the forum post here where there is
an explanation. In short, its much like the normal method:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6755034#post6755034

As a little rant, it would be really nice if valve would stop trying to
force people to play in a certain way. The TF2 developer commentary states
they don't like doing it, so it's a little odd that they do it so often.
Make a default player limit as a "suggestion" but allow people to alter it
at will.

Team Fortress wouldn't exist if people weren't able to monkey around and
play how they want to play, not how it was originally intended (Rocket
Jumping anyone?). I miss my grenades and flags on dustbowl L

-Skie/Cruiser