Now here's the biggest issue I have with that article:

"Here 1000 FPS are also counterproductive. If the server is under heavy load
and can’t calculate its 1000 FPS anymore, it decides to send the clients fewer
updates and to process fewer commands in order to reach its maximum rate of FPS
because the engine prioritizes the FPS rate achievement over processing updates
and commands."

Where the hell did the author pull THAT conclusion from?  The FPS is determined
by how many updates/commands it can process.  A frame is a rendering of the
simulated game world, so how could it be rendering and not process an update?

Given that fundamental misunderstanding, idk how credible I can consider this.
I remember a while ago that higher fps did equate to a lower ping, but I can't
prove it ATM.  When I get back home, I'll run a local LAN server for comparison.

I'd really like to hear some official explanation on the two from Valve so we
could finally put this issue to rest.  Personally, I think I can notice that
1000fps servers (if not overloaded and on a decent connection) do seem to
register more shots.  True, this could be a placebo effect.  But let's face it:
without knowing the official workings of the source engine, all theories and
experiences on this issue are purely subjective and have no solid backings.
Unless that ping issue is true :)

Dan

Crazy Canucks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I am fully aware that client and
server fps are two different things,
but I'm betting most clients aren't, and even the ones that are, 1000
fps sounds damned impressive when the really hard core gamers are
spending big money and putting in lots of hours trying to squeeze out a
few extra fps on their own client computer.

Drek