On 02.11.07 14:48 Uhr, Miano, Steven M. wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:hlds_linux-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Martindale
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:12 PM
To: hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds_linux] Error

Bad data found in model "dispenser_toolbox.dmx" (bad bone weights)

Bad data found in model "dispenser_gib1.smd" (bad bone weights)

Bad data found in model "dispenser_gib2.smd" (bad bone weights)

Bad data found in model "dispenser_gib3.smd" (bad bone weights)

Bad data found in model "dispenser_gib4.smd" (bad bone weights)

Has anyone addressed this issue, or found a work around for it yet?

Seems pretty quite for a usually quick to respond list on this issue....
That's because we've been repeatedly hearing of this issue for a long,
long, long time. We know it's pretty boring to sift through all the
archives, but as long-time list members, we can't tell who's new and who
already should know. (I guess a discussion forum would alleviate these
problems, since you get access to the archives and a search function
right away.) Sorry.

The probable cause is lack of SSE2. "Remedy": get a decent processor.
Yeah, sorry again.

Alfred Reynolds of Valve said that lack of the FCMOV instruction causes
it. I've discounted this by writing a program in assembler which
actually executes such an instruction, and it didn't end with an
"Illegal Instruction" error (as it would if the processor didn't have
FCMOV) even on the bad-bone-weight-fraught machines. AFAIR, we have
received no response from Valve since then.

It's either a mistake in the hand-written math code by Valve or an error
in GCC. We're not sure which, as Valve has neither come clean nor
pointed a finger at the GCC people. AFAIK, Windows machines are not hit
by this error, so it might be GCC-specific assembly or a GCC bug.

I hope very much that it's being fixed right now. A Valve engineer did
come around and tell us he has a machine to replicate this bug on, but
we haven't heard of his progress.

~~ Ondra