Here's what I get on the current Windows Version:

sv_password
"sv_password" = ""
 notify
 - Server password for entry into multiplayer games
sv_password abc
sv_password
"sv_password" = "abc" ( def. "" )
 notify
 - Server password for entry into multiplayer games
sv_password 12345
sv_password
"sv_password" = "12345" ( def. "" )
 notify
 - Server password for entry into multiplayer games

Here's what I get on the current Linux Version:
sv_password
"sv_password" = ""
 notify
 - Server password for entry into multiplayer games
sv_password abc
sv_password
"sv_password" = "abc" ( def. "" )
 notify
 - Server password for entry into multiplayer games
sv_password 12345
sv_password
"sv_password" = "12345" ( def. "" )
 notify
 - Server password for entry into multiplayer games

I don't see the same thing you are.  Both of my servers were downloaded
entirely today from scratch.  All of these commands are in the direct
console of the servers.  No hlsw, no ma_rcon.  I also don't have any plugins
enabled.  And yes, if what I said isn't matching with what you are saying
then I don't understand you.

Keeper