Update your routers firmware, my netgear router allows me to do loopback
connections (That is, use my external IP to go through port forwarding)

Ondřej Hošek wrote:
Call me arrogant or authoritative. Your choice.

Sadly, some routers just don't. My old router (Digitus) was alright with
me using my external IP address to connect to my internal machines, but
I had to replace it with a different one (Netgear), which hates me if
I do.

Peter was describing how to set up NAT, which Guy already did. The
trouble is, obviously, that if the router doesn't allow using the
external address, Guy will have to use the internal one, so the internal
IP address of his server will appear in Friends, which fetch this
information directly from the game, not from the master server (in case
the server wasn't able to talk to the master server).

I share your pain. I'm always playing on 192.168.0.7, and anytime my
friends can't get to my server, they automatically think it's because
it's LAN-only (which it's not -- most of the time, I have to reboot the
router)... I just tell them my hostname, port and password and they
ignore whatever is in my friends profile.

I don't know what security risks an arbitrary setting of the IP address
of the server one is currently playing on would bring along. Maybe allow
some mapping like /etc/hosts? (e.g. 192.168.0.7:27015 ->
cstrike.example.com:27015?)

~~ Ondra