I've been periodically switching up my linux kernel config in an
attempt to figure out what our friendly srcds software enjoys, and
recently ran into something fun with this config:
2.6.25.4-rt1 kernel (realtime patchset), full RT-mode with all the fun
RCU options on, non-tickless, 1000hz and all fun RTC options on
What happens is srcds_i486 uses 0-10% CPU when loaded up with 32
players. It was using 80-95% previously. The catch is 'sirq-timer/0'
and 'sirq-timer/1' (for each cpu) bloats up to ~70% cpu usage. Net CPU
usage is down a good 10-20% overall, as compared to 2.6.25.3 non-rt
with the same settings.

Has anyone else really messed with the RT/HPET/Etc. settings in depth
on the more recent .23+ kernels? And has anyone here tried
re-implementing gettimeofday() in a plugin/preload to remove the heavy
overhead calling a (non-virtual) syscall a thousand times/second can
have on srcds performance? Not that I don't trust valve's programming
decisions...

Kernel config in question: http://nemu.nephyrin.net/kconfig_20080501801.txt

 - Neph