Well, maybe that wasn't it.  What I was trying to do was use SourceMod
and AMX Mod X commands from the console.  This is what I've come up with
now that works.

command="say test\015";su -c "screen -S srcds -X eval 'stuff
\"$command\"'" cc-server

I expect that I don't need the $command variable, but I am going to be
using this in a script anyway, so the contents of the command will be in
a variable.  So what was required was the escaped double quotes.

Drek