It's very rare, but I have seen corrupted files show up in installations in
the past.  If that is what's happened here, I'd recommend trying two things
to attempt to clear it up:

First, delete InstallRecord.blob and re-run the update.  If that works,
you're golden.

If that fails, delete InstallRecord.blob and move or rename your DoD:S
subdirectory out of the directory structure for the Source engine.  That
will force a complete re-install while preserving your configuration files
and any additional maps that you may have added.